Campaign Coaches approved for BMGCC expansion, renovation - Feb. 14, 2019
BY SHAWN LOUGHLIN
Huron East Council has authorized the use of $25,000 of the Brussels, Morris and Grey Recreation Committee’s budget for a Campaign Coaches feasibility study ahead of the expansion and renovation of the community centre. In addition, in a gesture of good faith, council has set aside $365,000 to go towards the project.
Council discussed the issue at its Feb. 5 meeting, with Chief Administrative Officer Brad Knight recommending the approval of both financial moves.
He told council that the timeline for the proposed Campaign Coaches study would be 12 weeks with the cost of $25,000 being spread over three equal payments. The first payment would be due when the contract is signed, while the second would be due six weeks later and the third would be due upon the study’s completion. He added that costs such as mileage, telephone, postage and document productions costs will be billed once the study is completed.
With the Brussels, Morris and Grey Community Centre’s accumulated deficit dropping by $46,000, Knight said that gave the centre some flexibility within its budget for the coming year.
He also stated that Treasurer Paula Michiels has proposed a 2.5 per cent levy increase for all three of the municipality’s community centres. In addition, the Brussels centre has two capital projects proposed for 2019: $50,000 for dehumidifiers and $40,000 for heaters in the seating areas. Knight, however, said that if the feasibility study goes ahead, that would add a third capital project to the centre’s budget and the committee would have to understand that it’s possible the three capital projects might not all go ahead in 2019 and that one or two of them might be deferred.
By including the Campaign Coaches costs in the centre’s budget, as opposed to the general levy, Knight said it would mean that under the historic funding model, Morris-Turnberry would be responsible for 20 per cent of the cost, leaving Huron East responsible for the remaining 80 per cent.
In regards to the municipality’s support for the renovation and expansion of the centre, Knight looked to the municipality’s historical participation for guidance, saying that Huron East contributed $365,000 to the Seaforth and District Community Centre renovations in 2010, so it would be reasonable to contribute at least that much to the project, which cost a total of $1.5 million, but received $700,000 of provincial and federal funding and $35,000 from West Perth.
Knight said that the optics of the commitment would be good for council, but that council could vote to re-allocate the money at any time during the budget process.
Council voted to approve the study in the Brussels, Morris and Grey recreation budget and the transfer of $365,000 from the working capital reserves to a newly-created Brussels, Morris and Grey Community Centre renovation reserve.