Wednesday, September 30, 2015
It was a very sad day for the members and friends of Duff s United Church, in Walton as the final service was held and the membership in the United Church of Canada was closed.
Saturday, March 21, 2015
It would be hard to imagine from the excitement that greeted the arrival of the first passenger train arriving in Blyth on July 8, 1907 on the new Canadian Pacific Railway line that the whole venture could disappear...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
There s a new housing development in Blyth s east end around Anne Street and Drummond Street East that fills the land that was once the site of one of the village s...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Today Blyth Memorial Hall is not just a centre for Blyth, but for all of Huron County with people coming to enjoy professional theatre in summer and top name Canadian...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Begun in Morris Township (now Morris-Turnberry), in 1852, St. Michael s congregation moved to Blyth in 1876, when the congregation...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Brussels early landmark now forgotten
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Like most area municipalities, hotels were in abundance in Brussels during its early years. A story in The London Free Press of Feb. 15, 1964, by Leon Cantelon, indicated that by 1863, what was then known as Ainleyville, had two hotels...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
The Crystal Palace was, for decades, an impressive central focus for the annual Brussels Fall Fair. It was May 1906 when the East Huron Agricultural Society decided...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Brussels was one of 111 Ontario towns to receive a library courtesy of Andrew Carnegie s generosity. After selling the Carnegie Steel Company to JP Morgan for $500 million...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Bearskin coat was a sign of congregation s respect.
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Auburn Memorial Hall has been the centre for community activities in the village since 1962. The dream of a hall to commemorate area residents who had lost their lives in the two World Wars dates back to the formation of the Community Hall...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
When Auburn celebrated its 150th anniversary of the founding in 2004, the year also coincided with the 50th anniversary of the opening of the handsome Patterson Bridge...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
The haunting sound of a railroad engine s whistle is no longer heard in Auburn since Canadian Pacific Railway service was discontinued in 1988 and the rails pulled up shortly thereafter. Ironically, it was exactly 100 years since Auburn...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Though over the years, Auburn has lost many services it once boasted, it can still claim its own post office and postmaster at a time when some larger communities...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Every now and then, says David Sparling, a piece of Blyth s history surfaces in the pond on the Sparling Propane property south of the village. Two ponds, Sparling s and one near the Station House Bed and Breakfast...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Once it was the busiest place in Blyth but now people turn to the former London-Huron-Bruce Railway lands for a place of peace...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
After several years of itinerant preachers and services held in various homes, barns or in the out of doors, a church was built in 1858 and, a year later, dedicated as Canada Presbyterian Church by...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
The first ice surfaces in Blyth were outside and privately constructed. At one point there was one across from the Blyth Public School...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
While other industries have come and gone, rutabagas which have long played a part in Blyth s history are bigger than ever. Today, the sprawling G. L. Hubbard rutabaga plant on Dinsley Street East, stores up to 200,000 rutabagas waiting to...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
In the beginning, Blyth students attended schools located in Morris or East Wawanosh. Unfortunately, it is difficult to tell...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Brussels Town Hall lasted 13 years shy of a century before it was torn down due to safety concerns.
Saturday, March 21, 2015
With the progress of man and machine, the Brussels of today, has fortunately not seen the devastation of major fires too many times. During the years, it had its share, however. Between 1860...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
The old brick home, which is the centre of Kerr Apartments, at the corner of Turnberry and Hawkes St. was one of the most beautiful landmarks in Brussels. Though it is not known when the house was built, it has been traced back to...
Saturday, March 21, 2015
The official opening of the new Brussels Public School as chronicled by the Brussels Post in its Jan. 19, 1961 edition.
Saturday, March 21, 2015
The Brussels Legion received its charter in 1931, and had a tough start, with not many...
1 2